Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Awesome past month!


What a month we have had. Elizabeth and the Lothrop family have been so blessed by the continued support and prayers from our communities. I do not know how people can survive without one another and more importantly without God. Our life and who we are is driven by our love for the Lord. We try, but often fail in our efforts, to love and except each other as God has commanded us to do. I know, that word command really freaks people out, but that is precisely what God has called us to do; Love one another as we have loved ourselves.

Why is loving someone, especially a stranger or our enemy so hard for us to do? I thank God that he is so much more and so much bigger than me or any of us for that matter. I am trying to do my best for the precious gift of my family and friends that God has placed into my life and into my care. No matter what happens on this earth or when a loved one leaves this earth for home, God is allowing me to take to heaven the most important things in my life; my family. My family not only includes Randy, Catherine, James, and Elizabeth but it also includes you. I will continue to pray for all of you as you are also praying for my family and for me. God does not give us burdens or trouble but he will be there to carry us through the hardest times in our lives.

We started off May by Randy, Gina, Greg and Annette participating in the Flying Pig on May 3rd, then on to the Butterfly Walk, May 9th. It was a wonderful event with family, Team Success, friends, Sycamore Boys LAX team and many others walking for Pediatric Cancer. We then celebrated Mother's Day and our oldest daughter, Catherine's 19th birthday on Sun. May 10th. On May 14, Sycamore hosted "Lanes for Liz" glow in the dark bowling. We had such a great time and there were many sycamore students, teachers, and some Mason friends, that came out to have some bowling fun that night. On May 22nd, Liz, Randy and I were honored at the Unsung Hero Awards banquet. What an honor and privilege that was to be there and to be honored with so many wonderful and strong people whom have gone through so much more than Randy or I have. People like Elizabeth, parents who were there to except the award for there child who did not make it, doctors who have and are saving lives on a daily basis, and the list goes on.This past Sunday Liz's Junior Olympic Volleyball team hosted a very successful volleyball clinic on Liz's behalf. The very next day, June 1st there was a blood drive at Mason Intermediate in honor of Joel and Elizabeth. I have not heard yet but I am sure it was a tremendous success. People are so willing to give and help out. It is such a simple thing to do but it saves lives everyday. To Joel, Liz, and us, you are our hero's. Without this gift of life, they would not be here today. I can not tell you the units of blood and platelets that Elizabeth has received over the course of seven months. To top off this day, Melissa Grablovic, the kids tech teacher at Mason Middle, organized a great fundraiser at Bdub's with shirts designed by Ashley, a student of Randy's and friend to our family, Melissa, Liz, and Joel.

On a side note, a rather large side note, these shirts will be sold for the Light the Night event Sept. 17, 2009. Joel and Liz are the honored hero's for Mason. The team name is Blazen with <3 (<3=love.) You can go to www.lightthenight.org/soh. to view Liz and Joel as the Mason Honored Hero's. We are so excited and can not wait for this event. We will keep you posted on how to join our team for $25 dollars to carry a lighted balloon and $10 for a We Fight, We Win shirt. All the proceeds go to the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. Cancer is a nightmare for anyone and seeing your child go through the pain and suffering is a living nightmare. My wish, if you have not gone through this, is that you never do.

On to Liz, she is going through a rough patch. Last night knocked her for a loop. We had clinic today at 11:00 A.M. she had sushi at 3:00 P.M. and has spent the rest of the day and evening in bed. A friend from Atlanta is spending the night with her and is just hanging out, even when Liz is sleeping most of the time. Her hair is now coming out in fist fulls. I know the difference between shedding and falling out now. I will know how to better describe it to new mothers now that I am experiencing it. Liz is tempted to shave it but is still a bit afraid, I can't blame her. Lizzy is now off of the steroid and her counts will start to drop. Please pray for the following:

Pain in her back and abdomin. She is on pain meds every 8 hrs.
Nausea
Counts to go up
No delays and we can finish out this phase starting June 9th.
For her friend Alex, please pray for a miracle healing.
For all the families and children on A5 South, may they find peace and comfort in Jesus arms.
For our Doctors. May they embrace the ones they can save and forgive themselves for the ones God calls home. They are outstanding, wonderful, and caring and may God continue to carry them through their journey with these kids.

Thank you for being on this journey with us and never leaving us alone.

Christine

6 comments:

Alecia said...

I wanted to give you an update on the blood drive that was held Monday June 1st at Mason Intermediate School. The drive resulted in the total collection of 58 units. This was a HUGE success. Three lives can be saved with each unit of blood collected. Therefore, we can safely say that Monday's drive has helped to save 174 lives!!!!

Alecia Lipton, Hoxworth Blood Center

Unknown said...

That is some incredible news. I know first hand what the blood products due for these children. Just the simple fact that it even allows them to get up and move around.
I am glad it was such a success for all these kids and for you.
Thank you Alecia for your hard work and dedication.

Christine

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy Dodson said...

Lizzy, girl! I am so sorry to hear that your back and abdomen are hurting. Just this minute, I offered up a prayer for you. I know right now that you are very, very tired of this leukemia stuff. Just keep your eye on the prize. You WILL be a stronger person for all that you are going through now. As the years go on, it will all start coming together for you and you will understand. But right now, it's okay to feel everything that you are feeling emotionally. Just know that there's always a rainbow after the storm. When there's no sushi around for you to feed on, just feed on the love of all your blog followers! Sending more love than I can express!
Mrs. D.

Cat said...

aw liz i love your purple hair!!!! look how cute it looks here.

Lisa M said...

This entry brought me to tears for several reasons.....thanks for touching me. Ceaseless prayers for Liz and the rest. I'm so sorry to hear about Alex - he will experience a miracle healing whether here on earth or with the Lord. I'm praying for the families of each of these kids too - that includes YOU GUYS!
Hugs, Lisa